Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
601 West Lombard Street
Baltimore MD 21201-1512
Google Cardboard is a low-cost virtual reality platform by Google that consists of a fold-out cardboard viewer and a number of smartphone apps. The viewer is used by placing a smartphone with a Google Cardboard app into the back of it and viewing through the lenses in the front.
There are a number of Google Cardboard viewers in the HSHSL Innovation Space that are available on a first-come-first-serve basis for use in the library. Once you've installed the official Google Cardboard app, you're ready to step into virtual reality!
Up and running with Google Cardboard
Install the official Google Cardboard app
The first step is to install the official Google Cardboard smartphone app for Android or for iOS. This official app is required to prepare your smartphone to work with the particular version of Google Cardboard viewers that are available in the Innovation Space.
Once your smartphone is set up to work with our viewers you'll be able to use any of the other Google Cardboard apps available for your device. A good way to find Google Cardboard apps is to search the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store for "Google Cardboard".
Set up the viewer
- Hold the viewer so that the glass lenses are facing you. Detach the flap on the top of the viewer and fold it away from you so that the graphic instructions are exposed.
- Unfold the flaps on the back of the viewer and pull them towards you. Attach the Velcro on the flaps to the Velcro on the sides of the viewer to create a visor.
- Start the official Cardboard app on your smartphone.
- Select "Launch Cardboard Demos" from inside the Cardboard app.
- Follow the directions on your screen. You will likely need to use your smartphone to scan the QR code on the actual viewer.
- If you have a thick cover on your phone, you may need to remove it. Place your phone against the cutout in the back of the viewer. Your phone should be horizontal with the screen facing you.
- Close the back flap and attach it to the Velcro on top of the viewer.
- Look through the viewer lenses and follow the on-screen instructions. You're now ready for virtual reality with Google Cardboard!