Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
601 West Lombard Street
Baltimore MD 21201-1512
2. Prepare Your 3D File and Correct Non-Manifold Geometry Issues
Follow the steps below to successfully 3D print your model.
Save, Export, or Download .STL file
- You have saved or exported your 3D model file as a .STL file.
- You can use any of the following free 3D modeling software to do so.
Correct Non-Manifold Geometry Issues
- Is your 3D model solid / watertight and has the valid 3D geometry?
- This means that all faces are closed and they form one or more closed entity.
- There must be no open gaps / holes, non-manifold edges, self-intersections, zero-length edges, naked edges, degenerate faces, duplicate faces, or inverted triangles.
- Upload and repair your file through the free NetFabb Cloud Service.
- Download the repaired version.
- (Optionally, you may use other software to do the repair. This may be more complicated.)
- Is your 3D model size within the maximum build size of the 3D printer?
- MakerBot Replicator 2X
(Maximum Build Size: 24.6 L x 15.2 W x 15.5 H cm; Resolution: 100 micron/0.1 millimeter)
- Afinia H480
(Maximum Build Size: 140 x 140 x135 mm; Resolution: 0.15-0.40 mm vertically)
- If not, scale your model properly.
Minimum Wall Thickness
- Does your 3D model have the required wall thickness for the 3D printer you are using?
- Use NetFabb Basic to check the wall thickness.
- The minimum thickness of a layer is 0.1 mm for Replicator 2X and 0.15-0.4mm for Afinia.
Raft / Support
- The model with an overhang over 45 degrees will require a raft.
- A model may also need to be printed with a support as the base.
- Raft /Support can be added in the MakerBot 3D printer setting.
- Raft / Support will require more plastic and make the printing time longer.
- Raft / Support should be carefully removed from the model once it is printed.
Modernization projects such as the Innovation Space initiative are made possible by the generosity of donors through the UMB Foundation. If you would like to support projects such as these please visit https://umaryland.givecorps.com/causes/714-hshl or contact us at (410) 706-7545.